Pages

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

CHICKEN CAULIFLOWER CASSEROLE WITH CREAMY CAPER SAUCE




Leftover chicken is a constant at my house. If it’s not gobbled up by my husband, I’m brainstorming how I can make it into something wonderful. This idea popped into my head, and as I love capers, I had to figure out a way to include them in this family-friendly casserole. They appear in the homemade sauce!

Cheese on the top is optional, but the kids were certainly love it more!


Recipe


Sauce ingredients
Butter – 3 T
Flour ( I used whole wheat ) – 3 T
Milk – 2 C
Capers – 3 T
Garlic cloves, pressed – 2
Green yogurt – ½ C
Sour cream – ½ C
Lemon juice – 1 T


Remaining ingredients
Cooked chicken, shredded – 4 C
Cauliflower, trimmed, chopped into florets and steamed ‘til tender – 1 head
Cheddar cheese, shredded – 1 C

First, you make the sauce. Melt butter over medium-low heat, and when melted, stir in flour. Cook until starting to bubble. Add in milk slowly, cooking over medium heat until bubbling and beginning to thicken. Add capers and garlic. When the consistency is about as thick as yogurt, remove from heat. Add greek yogurt, sour cream and lemon juice. Stir until well combined.

Set oven to 350. Place chicken pieces in the bottom of a 10 X 13 pan. Top with steamed cauliflower pieces. Pour sauce evenly over top. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Add cheese on top and bake five more minutes. ENJOY IN GOOD HEALTH!


No comments:

Post a Comment