Pages

Monday, August 26, 2013

SPAGHETTI WITH CAPERS, ANCHOVIES, TOMATOES AND BASIL




I may never go back to marinara again! This recipe is one I found and then tinkered with. I went much heavier on the capers…because I LOVE their earthy, pickled tang. I also added in a some herring I had…yum! It may look “interesting” but I know you’ll love it. It’s easy, quick and delicious!

My four-year old and 6-year old didn’t complain once about dinner. They sat and ate it quickly. They even knew about the fish and capers in the sauce!


Recipe

Spaghetti noodles – 1 ½ lbs
Canola oil – 2 T
Garlic cloves, peeled and chopped – 5
Pickled herring in oil, drained and finely chopped (from a tin)– 2 oz
Anchovies in oil, drained and finely chopped (from a tin) – 2 oz
Black olives, roughly chopped - 12 oz (two cans)
Capers, drained/rinsed – 5 or 6 T
Cherry tomatoes, sliced in half – 10 oz
Sea salt
Basil leaves, roughly torn – ½ C

Put 4 Tablespoons of sea salt in 6 quarts of water. Heat to boiling. When boiling, place noodles in, stir, then cook until al dente.

Heat the oil over medium heat in a large, tall frying pan. Add in garlic, herring and anchovies. Cook until aromatic, about 1-2 minutes. Add in olives, capers, tomatoes and stir over medium heat. Cook until tomatoes begin to collapse.

Drain pasta and toss in a large bowl with the sauce. Adjust seasoning as needed, though the salted water the pasta was cooked in, and the saltiness of the sauce ingredients should be sufficient.


ENJOY IN GOOD HEALTH! 

No comments:

Post a Comment